Friday, June 17, 2016

EDITOR'S NOTES: Fathers day gifts come in various packages

David Kennard
dkennard@journalscene.com

Fathers Day is upon us.

That means a new tie, perhaps some new socks and maybe a card from the kids – perhaps a phone call, or a mention in a Facebook post.

Despite what Home Depot would like you to think, Father’s Day isn’t really the same holiday as Mother’s Day. It’s really more along the lines of Secretary’s Day – worth a mention but otherwise it’s just another day, with perhaps an excuse to grill some steak and watch some baseball on TV.

At least that’s the way it is in our house.

I’m not complaining. I’ve received some pretty nice things over the years – lawn equipment, electronics, most of the socks in my drawer – but some of the best gifts have been more subtle.

As a father of four, now mostly grown children, I’ve prepared a list of the Best Father’s Day gifts – both given and received.

No. 1 on my list: A game of catch with my oldest son, Nate. He played Little League baseball growing up, which meant we often spent time in the back yard throwing a baseball back and forth. Working on form, aim, distance, whatever. There’s something really satisfying to a father about the sound of a fast ball thrown by his son as the ball smacks the sweet spot of a leather mitt.

No. 2: Bamboo pole fishing with your children. Any lazy Saturday afternoon is a Father’s Day gift if you can catch a ton of sunfish on a bamboo pole baited with a simple red worm.

I’ve got some pretty cool fishing gear that has mostly not caught much, but the most enjoyment I’ve had is watching the excitement on my children’s faces when they latch onto a wriggling blue gill.

No. 3: Eating burned hot dogs. My children will tell you that I am a hot dog snob. They must be all beef; they must be cooked until they plump and they must be topped only with ketchup and mustard, maybe some sauerkraut. My children, on the other hand, all like them blackened. The blacker, the better. I don’t get it, but at least they’re easy to cook that way.

No 4: Packing for your first Boy Scout trip. One of the fondest memories of my own father was the days and days he spent gathering all the equipment I needed for my first 5-mile back-packing trip with my Boy Scouts troop. I had a brand new 6-pound external frame pack, a new 4-pound folding trench shovel, a new 2-pound aluminum mess kit, A 13-pound two-man tent with rain fly, a new 3-pound D-cell flashlight, at least 5 pounds of canned beans, sardines and beef jerky. A sleeping bag, sleeping pad rain poncho and assorting clothing, fishing gear, and miscellaneous other odds and ends.

When I showed up to the church parking lot to load up with the other boys, I could barely lift the pack, which weighed something close to 60 pounds. At 11 years old, I think I may have weighed 90 pounds.

Most of the gear that Dad had gone to great lengths to shove into that new pack was left in the back of my scoutmaster’s pickup truck. Dad was great, and I believe I still have that old folding shovel somewhere.

No. 5-10: Riding roller coasters together with your children, watching Ohio State play for the National Championship, reading the Sunday Funnies together, daddy-daughter dates that include Peanut Buster Parfaits, building tree forts and blanket forts.

Father’s Day Life Hack: Finally here’s a secret tip for fathers that my father-in-law shared with me sometime around the birth of my only daughter. When she becomes a teenager and wants you drive her and her friends all over town, but doesn’t want you butting into their conversations, just adjust the car’s speakers so the sound fades only to the rear seat. It makes it a lot easier to eavesdrop.

Happy Father’s Day.

David Kennard is the executive editor of Summerville Communications, which publishes the Berkeley Independent, Goose Creek Gazette and Summerville Journal Scene. Contact him at dkennard@journalscene.com or 843-873-9424. Follow him on Twitter @davidbkennard.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment