Sunday, May 28, 2006

May 28, 2006 -- As you celebrate, remember those who serve

It’s hot in Iraq this time of year.

There are more than 130,000 U.S. troops stationed in the desert nation this Memorial Day Weekend.

They will celebrate with services today, speeches tomorrow, but many will mark the American holiday by doing what they have been doing for the last three years, going door-todoor, helping the people of Iraq, rebuilding infrastructure and training

Iraq’s citizenry to care for themselves.

The nation’s prime minister said this week that the country will be ready to defend itself from internal threats by the year 2007.

We can only hope that means some of those 130,000 U.S. troops will be coming home soon.

It’s hard to know for sure how many of those are from Miami County or even from Ohio. The military doesn’t give very detailed information about who is serving where at any moment in time. Most families don’t really even know where exactly their soldiers are serving.

Three or four times a week, I have a chance to visit with a soldier’s family member as they update me on what is happening with their son or daughter.

Many are in Iraq, some in Europe, many more are stateside training.

We publish the information on the Hometown Heroes page about once a week in the Troy Daily News.

Most of the news is good, thank God above. I never served in the military.

At 18 I registered for the draft as required by law, but of course the Cold War wasn’t a time of active recruitment.

I do know several people who have served, some work on our staff here at the Troy Daily News.

Anthony Weber, photo chief, is an Army veteran, and Ken Bowen, circulation director – the guy who makes sure this paper is delivered – is a veteran.

Both served their time and now are home and living their lives. I’m thankful for their service to my country.

During spring break, I had a chance to visit with one of my uncles.

Richard, my dad’s youngest brother, is starting to get up there in age now, but he remembers vividly the time he served his country. As a young helicopter pilot, he flew evacuation missions into the jungles of Vietnam.

Many wounded soldiers were carried out under the blades of his HH- 3E Jolly Green Giant.

“You can land about anywhere in those,” he told me. “But it’s a lot more difficult when the enemy is firing up at you from the forest.”

I can only imagine.

Further back, my mom’s dad fought in the trenches of Belgium and France during World War I. My great-great grandfather served with the Union Army in the Civil War. He was wounded in battle, taken prisoner in Georgia and later released back to his home in southern Ohio.

His grandfather fought for American freedom during the Revolutionary War. My oldest son, finishing is junior year in high school, has been heavily recruited by every branch of the military.

It worries me some what he may be thinking. Although I would be very proud to have a son serving in the military, to be honest, I hope he chooses a different career path.

It’s hot in Troy this time of year.

As you read this, I may very well be cooking hamburgers and hotdogs in Troy’s Community Park.

I imagine most of you will be doing something similar. In fact most of the country is celebrating this extended weekend with picnics and family vacations.

But as you enjoy yourself this weekend, take just a minute to appreciate those young men and women celebrating this holiday far from home.

Take a minute to think about how your life has been touched by a soldier – family member or not.

On Monday, I hope you’ll make it out to Troy’s Memorial Day parade. It begins at 9:15 a.m. and travels through the Public Square west to Adams Street, where it ends at Riverside Cemetery with a short service.

David Kennard is the executive editor and publisher of the Troy Daily News. You can send him e-mail at editorial@tdnpublishing.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment